How To MozFest: An Open Book For the Internet Health Movement is now available online!
At MozFest 2019, we released a hardback version of How To MozFest: An Open Book for the Internet Health Movement. This book was a celebration of the first 10 years of a festival that began in Barcelona, Spain with 200 people and grew into a week long event in London, England with over 2,000 in attendance.
A lot has changed in the world since 2019 and the importance of internet health has become even more center stage. It was important for us to make the book fully available and accessible online to bring the conversations off of the physical pages onto the screens of local neighborhoods around the globe.
If you’d like to join us in discussions around topics and themes in the book, you’re invited to join our slack channel, #mozfest-book.
We hope in this book you will come to understand more about the festival, that it’s built by many, cherished by all, and finds success because of the hard work of those who return year-over-year to support the event, the work, and each other.
As we close the first decade of the festival, we wanted to take a moment to stop and reflect upon what we have achieved, both as a festival and a community. As part of this reflection, it is important to share our story, how we design MozFest, and the evolution of the festival. As we enter a new decade, we seek to take these learnings forward to help us grow, mature and remain relevant for the next ten years as a festival and as part of the internet health movement.
The book is filled with insights, memories, conversations, and collaborations. Here’s a bird’s eye view of what you can expect to find in the book:
- From Open Source to a Healthy Internet: The How To MozFest story begins with the festival founders calling us to action to roll up our sleeves and do something about the health of the internet. Come on, let’s go!
- The First Decade: Soar over the past ten years, getting a bird’s eye view of how the festival is an experiment and an evolution of the one that came before.
- 10 years of Activism, Community, and Collaboration: You’ll discover how the web has changed, how our community used the festival platform to advance, shape, and rally around their key projects and disciplines to bring internet health awareness and work to all corners of the globe.
- Creating Participatory Events: For those interested in learning about building a participatory event, you’ll take the MozFest backstage tour. The shared ownership and collaborative design practices of MozFest, of planning and leading the event with many in the community, is important for us to share. We didn’t come up with this concept on our own, but we certainly made it our own. Learn how we build an event in a participatory fashion.
- Peer to Peer Interviews: And finally, for all of you asking insightful questions about the current state of the internet health movement and where it’s going, you’ll be a fly on the wall, overhearing conversations regarding the most pressing issues of our time between some of the most brilliant and influential minds in the movement.
- Reflecting and Looking Ahead: The work for a healthy internet isn’t done yet – so what does our community envision when they look ahead to the next ten years of the festival and the internet health movement? Where do we go from here? The authors of these essays share their thoughts on the many paths the future offers the digital world and how our choices will shape the festival and the web for everyone.
Enjoy exploring all that the book has to offer. With over 180 contributors, there is a lot to discover! You’re invited to join us on the slack channel, #mozfest-book to discuss the concepts and topics of the book.